Friday, April 6, 2012

Spicy gingers

Remember that time when I was going to make the vegan fig tart... but ended up making oreos instead? Well this afternoon I did the opposite of that. I was going to make another batch of the oreos, but instead decided on some vegan spicy ginger cookies. For one, I bought a jar of molasses a while back for a specific recipe, and have been trying to find ways to use it every since... so these cookies satisfied that. Secondly, I really like providing my taste-testers (read: roommates) with as diverse a panel of goodies as I can. I know that tough and charming R (have I mentioned how tall he is?) will particularly appreciate these, for they contain grapefruit and ginger... and he feels VERY strongly about both of those.

And it didn't hurt that I had all of the ingredients for this on hand.


These cookies live up to their name pretty fantastically. They are spicy. They are gingery... and they are cookies. But they are also tangy from the grapefruit and smooth and chewy from the molasses. Plus I made these bite sized... so they are poppable. As in I had no problem popping about 5 in my mouth directly from the oven. In my defense, when I was photographing them I had to take bites out of them.  Really, I did it for you.

Your welcome.


Spicy Ginger Cookies
Adapted from The Artful Vegan
Materials:
  • 6 tablespoons agave nectar
  • 2 tablespoons molasses
  • 1/4 canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
  • 2 teaspoons grapefruit zest
  • 1 3-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpous flour
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Methods:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  3. Place the agave, molasses, oil, juice, zest, and ginger in a blender, and blend well.
  4. Mix the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and spices in a bowl.
  5. Pour the ginger mixture into the dry and mix well to create a smooth batter.
  6. Using a spoon, collect about 1 tablespoon of batter and then roll into a ball with your hands.
  7. Place on prepared baking sheet and flatten slightly.
    • Confession: I actually forgot to flatten them... so mine are very spherical, which is fine... but I would flatten them next time.
  8. Bake for about 12-15 minutes.
  9. Fit as many as you can into your mouth ASAP.
  10. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis