And it didn't hurt that I had all of the ingredients for this on hand.
These cookies live up to their name pretty fantastically. They are spicy. They are gingery... and they are cookies. But they are also tangy from the grapefruit and smooth and chewy from the molasses. Plus I made these bite sized... so they are poppable. As in I had no problem popping about 5 in my mouth directly from the oven. In my defense, when I was photographing them I had to take bites out of them. Really, I did it for you.
Spicy Ginger Cookies
Adapted from The Artful Vegan
- 6 tablespoons agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 canola oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 2 teaspoons grapefruit zest
- 1 3-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpous flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the agave, molasses, oil, juice, zest, and ginger in a blender, and blend well.
- Mix the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, and spices in a bowl.
- Pour the ginger mixture into the dry and mix well to create a smooth batter.
- Using a spoon, collect about 1 tablespoon of batter and then roll into a ball with your hands.
- Place on prepared baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Confession: I actually forgot to flatten them... so mine are very spherical, which is fine... but I would flatten them next time.