Thursday, April 26, 2012

Everyday i'm stew eating

(I hope that the title is being sung to the correct tune... as a hint, here are other things I enjoy doing everyday: shuffling... and especially, snuggling :-))


Well here you have it. Another stew. I just couldn't help myself, I have had stew on the brain. I have been craving it. And I want so badly to share some stew with you.

I flagged this African peanut stew a while back and yesterday seemed like the perfect day for some stew eating. I have some food from this past weekend that I am looking forward to sharing, but this stew skipped straight to the top of the list. Sharing stew with you will always be at the top of my list.    


This stew turned out to be warm, comforting, a little spicy, and then a little of everything else I needed it to be. It was sweet, but packed a little bit of a punch. It was a breeze to throw together, and has no crazy exotic ingredients, so you may even already have everything you need for this recipe! And if you can ignore for a minute that the broth looks a little like toilet water (why does she use words like "toilet water" on a food blog?), the colors of this stew are really quite stunning... the way the orange pops against the green. You know I love my accent colors, and this stew gave me just that :-). Serious noms.


African Peanut Stew with Sweet Potatoes and Spinach 
Adapted from Naturally Ella

Materials:
  • olive oil
  • 1/2 medium onion, diced
  • 3 gloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon clove
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 carrot, diced
  • 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1/2" dice
  • 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar
  • 2 tablespoons peanut butter
  • 3 cups spinach, chopped (I cheated and used 1 package of frozen spinach)

Methods:
  1. Heat the olive oil in pot over medium heat.
  2. Add the onions and sauté for about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the garlic and ginger and continue sautéing for another 2 minutes.
  4. Stir in the spices, and cook for additional 1-2 minutes, until everything is nice and fragrant.
  5. Add the carrot, sweet potato, broth, and honey and bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
  6. Stir in the peanut butter and let stew for about 15 minutes.
  7. Add in the spinach, and stir just until wilted.
  8. Enjoy!
    • This would be great over some brown rice or other grain.


7 comments:

  1. Very inspiring blog, you have :-)

    This stew looks amazingly tasty... I was'nt hungry before, but now.. Mmmm!

    ~Sheila~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! It is equally inspiring for me to hear positive feedback like that :) happy eating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was sooooo fantastic!! I replaced spinach with kale since it was what i had in the fridge, but nonetheless, so delicious. Thank you for the recipe. It's a keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I would totally put kale in it if that is what I had too :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has become a regular dish for us. Thanks Alexandra!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy yummy in the tummy! My taste buds said, "Zippity Doo Dah!"

    Stacey in NC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this great post. It is very informative. Sincerely, thank you. It's great that you are trying to make the reader happy. I recommend that you read the post about Microphone Hacking. This article will teach you How to Protect Yourself From Camera and Microphone Hacking?

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis