Monday, April 16, 2012

In praise of roasted vegetables

It doesn't get much better than simply roasted vegetables. It concentrates their flavor, doesn't take much technique... and is a good way to use what you have in your refrigerator/cabinet. I mean, roasted vegetables usually consists of doing some rough chopping of whatever strikes your fancy, drizzling on some olive oil or simple marinade... and popping it in the oven for a few, during which time you can go do something else. Or just sit and enjoy how good it smells.

The day that I made these veggies, I had gone out to pizza for lunch. And I ate an entire pizza. Whole. Much like an anaconda would eat a baby elephant. For dinner that night I wanted something light that packed a mean vegetable punch. I had broccolini, I had bok choy, and I had leeks. All of which were ready to get in my belly.

Well not before tossing them in a DELICIOUS sweet/sour/tangy/savory/amazing marinade of sorts and letting them spend a few minutes in the oven.


What started out as a quick weeknight dinner, turned into what I think will be how I roast all of my vegetables from now on. This recipe is honestly amenable to whatever veggies you may find in your crisper, so while I am going to write out the recipe as I made it, feel free to do it with whatever.


Roasted Vegetables
Materials:

  • 1 bunch of broccolini
  • 1 leek
  • 1 large head of baby bok choy
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • salt and pepper

Methods:

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Give all of the vegetables a rough chop into bite size pieces.
  3. Toss with olive oil, vinegar, and syrup.
  4. Give a couple shakes of salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Spread out in single layer in roasting pan.
  6. Roast for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
  7. Enjoy! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis