Friday, August 3, 2012

Frozen Friday: Cherry Chocolate Chip


Even though the Bay Area weather is trying desperately to convince us otherwise... it is, in fact, summer and definitely ice cream season... so it is ice cream that I bring you, as promised. Since it is Friday, and I am feeling a little less eloquent that usual (does she think she is normally eloquent? I would give it high school English capability at best)... I am going to give you my assorted thoughts on ice cream and the like in bulleted form.

- I want to master the basics of ice cream before getting too crazy. I had some charming chocolate, I did the banana business... but I still need to master a solid fruit ice cream (solid as in quality, not solid as opposed to liquid fruit... umm i'm not sure liquid fruit exists...)

- Reckless R has gone and left me for a week. It has been horrible. He is never allowed to leave again. On the bright side, he left 14 bags of cherries in the fridge to rot. Thanks R. I had it in my head all week that I was going to use these cherries to make cherry ice cream. Unfortunately, by the time I got to them... many of them were covered in a lovely white fuzz. I sort of went through and picked out the ones that were still ok. Normally, this isn't something I do... because even though I can't see it, I know that the seemingly fine cherries have mold spores on them. Yuck. But I did it, because I was dead set on cherry ice cream, and I tend to do the things that I become fixated on. It was happening.


- I made these amazing cookies earlier this week. I didn't even get to photograph them because they went that fast. But I will absolutely be making them again. They were amazing. Anyways, I had chocolate chips left over from the cookies, so the cherry ice cream just became cherry chocolate chip. This is a decision I was pleased with.


- I left work at 4 yesterday, and I was eating this ice cream by 5. In that hour, activities included (but are not limited to): cursing R for leaving so many rotten cherries, making this ice cream in its entirety, feeling bad about cursing R, cursing my drier for not drying the pants I wanted to wear last night, accepting it and just wearing wet clothes out last night, and photographing this ice cream.


- With ice cream making being so easy and quick, i'm not sure I will ever go out for ice cream again (blasphemy)! I can have homemade ice cream that is quicker than standing in line at Ici.

- This ice cream was so delicious. It was creamy and fruity and decadent. Cherry chocolate chip, i'll have some right now.


Cherry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Material:
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 cup pitted and chopped cherries
  • 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/8 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips

Methods:
  1. Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a blender and blend until fully blended and it takes on a nice and solid purple color.
  2. Mix in chocolate chips.
  3. Freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacture's instructions (mine churned for 15 minutes).
  4. Transfer to freezer for roughly 30 min to an hour to finish firming up.
  5. Enjoy!
    • Despite the fact that you may live in SF and are currently wearing a sweater.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis