I know that I am going to be a little late/completely miss the cupcake bandwagon, but I made 2 batches of cupcakes this weekend, and have plans to make many more this week because I. Can. Not. Stop. This has it's pluses and minuses. A plus is that I really enjoy baking, and I am looking forward to getting creative with cupcakes. However, I am going to Hawaii next week... so maybe eating 2+ cupcakes a day isn't an awesome pre-bathing suit plan?
I loved many things about these cupcakes. First of all, they rose so nicely and had this beautiful domed top that was perfect on its own and didn't need frosting. And I actually really don't like frosting, so I just put a smear of the recommended glaze and sprinkled on some crystalized ginger for the win. They were chic, classic, and completely delicious.
The coffee ended up being a pretty prominent flavor, so I may recommend water instead if you don't want the coffee thing going on. Also, feel free to up the orange zest and ginger for an even more in your face flavor punch. Either way, they were totally moist and fluffy and delicious and everything you want a cupcake to be. I will warn you though, I did eat maybe 4-6 of these bad boys within 24 hours of making them. Ya...
Adapted from Kohler Created
For the Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups AP flour
- 1/3 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup coffee
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons crystalized ginger, ground up
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
For the Topping
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- crystalized ginger, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Mix together all dry ingredients.
- Add coffee through orange juice and thoroughly mix.
- Slowly, while mixing, add in vinegar.
- The batter will foam a bit a turn white, set aside until mixture darkens again.
- Divide batter between 12 cupcake liners and place in oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool in pan for 5 minute, and then move to cooling rack.
- To Decorate: Mix together the powdered sugar and orange juice until fully dissolved, brush tops of cupcakes with the glaze, and sprinkle on crystallized ginger.
- You will probably want to eat 1 or 2 immediately, you know, to test them out.