As I was watching my zucchini plant take over my life earlier in the summer, I planned ahead. I gathered an arsenal of recipes and spaced them out throughout the summer. While many probably skip straight to the zucchini bread to use up this abundant summer time crop, I strategically decided to save it until last. And the day finally came for my first loaf of zucchini bread. I had been making chocolate zucchini cookies all summer, and have fallen in love with the combination of chocolate and zucchini. Therefore chocolate chip zucchini bread it was.
I have had
But that is ok, because it gave me the prompt I needed to bust out this amazing zucchini bread. The timing was perfect, seeing as macho M was returning home the following day, and would most likely consume the bread. In its entirety (well, the half that our new roommate K and I didn't finish). The zucchini and applesauce means it is über moist, the whole wheat flour gives it a hearty edge, and the chocolate chips means it is just plain delicious! Awesome A was quoted as saying "this is seriously the best thing I have ever eaten." While she was probably just being nice because I was having an awfully rough night, it was some pretty seriously good eats. So try out this twist on zucchini bread for your final zucchini harvests!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
Adapted from Eating Clean Recipes
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini, squeezed and drained of extra liquid
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Grease 8x4 inch loaf pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together almond milk and vinegar and let set for about 2 minutes, until thickened.
- To the milk mixture, add the sugar, oil, applesauce, zucchini, and vanilla and stir just until moist.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spread batter evenly into loaf pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove and let cool.