Quick confession, I have developed this recent unexplainable obsession with corn. It is delicious. Especially if in the form of soup. Anyways, there isn't much more to say on the subject.
But, that allowed me to segue into the type of risotto we have here today (ha, who knew scientists could be so clever with writing!):
Corn and spinach risotto with a spicy mascarpone sauce
The chili and corn give it a bit of a Mexican kick, while the corn also adds a hint of sweetness. The spinach acts as a flavor missile that releases juicy spinachy goodness with every bite. The mascarpone cools down the chili and brings everything together. Yum.
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, warmed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- as many cloves of garlic as you can handle (ok, 2 or 3 will suffice), crushed
- 1 cup corn kernels (I used Trader Joe's frozen sweet corn kernels... good stuff)
- 2 cups spinach, lightly chopped
- 3 tablespoons mascarpone
- dash of chili powder
- Pre-rinse the rice under running water.
- This will remove a bunch of residual starch and help prevent clumping of the risotto.
- Take a big whiff. There is no better smell than onions and garlic cooking :-).
- Continuously stir as the rice absorbs each bolus of stock.
- Be sure not to add the next bit until the last is completely absorbed!