|View from my living room while I was making this chili.|
Adapted from Food.com
This cornbread is so moist and has a great corn presence to it. I can't wait to play around with this recipe by making more sweet and more savory versions! I think next time I will add some whole corn kernels (corn makes everything better) and some spice. Best part is that it is vegan! And no carnivorous person would ever be the wiser :-).
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a 9 inch round cake pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Bring the water to a boil in small sauce pan.
- Add the flax seed.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mix has thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Do not over mix! That would lead to tough cornbread.
Based loosely on Allrecipes.com
- Olive oil
- 1 leek, cleaned and chopped (dark green portion removed)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup picked jalapeno, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 28 ounces whole peeled tomatoes, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz can whole corn kernels, drained
- Heat the olive oil in in large pot over medium high heat.
- Add the leeks and cumin, oregano, and salt.
- Saute until the leeks begin to melt.
- Add the red bell pepper, jalapenos, and garlic.
- Reduce heat to low, cover pot, and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chili, and pepper.
- Stir in the black beans.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, and simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Enjoy with some cornbread and trashy TV (at least that is how I did it)!
Tonight was vegan done easy and delicious. Please give this a try! No carnivorous friend will walk away from the meal unsatisfied.