Thursday, May 31, 2012

Not your average salad

Remember my spiel about salads? Right.


Well here is another reminder that salads don't have to be boring! Or limp. Or soggy. This salad is about as crunchy and zippy as it gets. Lemon juice, vinegar, and jalapeños for brightness, corn and cabbage for crunch, all cooled off by some tomatoes. We have ourselves a winner!

Isn't cabbage pretty?
Oh, do some of those ingredients look familiar? Ya, I haven't been to the grocery store... so I am in throwing-together-what-I-have mode. Also because I have been trying my hardest to use everything from one grocery trip before going again to avoid wasting food. Well turns out 1 head of cabbage takes me forever to get rid of, so the cabbage you see popping up in all my recipes all hails from the same head of cabbage. I have begged cabbage-loving R to take it off my hands... but lately I think he has had enough of eating foods that leak red color into him (the same guy who complains that beets taste like dirt has been drinking beet/dirt juice nightly... at least when he isn't too busy making oatmeal smoothies?? I don't know about that one...). And the lemon juice you see in the recipe? Oh, just from a lemon that I GREW. NBD. I have a meyer lemon tree as part of my balcony oasis, and said little lemon tree currently has roughly 30 itty bitty teeny weeny little lemons on it!

Expect lot so of lemon recipes this summer...
Anyways, if it means eating this salad every night until the cabbage is done, then I am A-OK with that!


Spicy Cabbage and Corn Salad

Materials:

  • 1/4 head red cabbage, shredded
  • Fresh kernels from 1 ear of corn
  • handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 jalapeño, deseeded and sliced thin
  • Juice from 1 meyer lemon
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1 heaping tablespoon fresh chopped mint
  • salt and pepper to taste
Methods:

  1. Toss all of the above ingredients together.
  2. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis