Monday, May 7, 2012

Banana Bread

I usually love to fancy stuff up, cram as much health into my meals as possible, and put together new flavors. Not today though. Today we are doing straight up banana bread. None of this rum or chocolate business. I'm not sneaking vegetables into it (why must you put vegetables on EVERYTHING?!). Just super moist, delicious, bananaey banana bread.

By the looks of those bananas, we may have another loaf of banana bread in a few days.
While I am modern in many ways (I mean, I did move across the country to peruse a PhD in science),  I really am a traditionalist at heart. I believe in soul mates and happily ever after. I believe in family coming first. I believe in gender roles, like being in the kitchen while the boy tends the fire in the wood stove. I believe in having my nails done and wearing pearls while cleaning. And I believe in this banana bread. This is another one of my mom's recipes. It is simple and never fails. This banana bread is everything banana bread should be, uber moist and just chock full of banana goodness. I don't recommend tampering with this recipe at all, for it is perfect as is.


I should also note that this loaf of banana bread lasted maybe a couple of hours in my house. I don't think anyone was capable of just having one slice. In fact, I think macho M had about 7 slices. He is a beast like that. I should also note that this recipe has been rat approved. Gus Gus and Bianca went crazy licking out the bowl when I was done (gross. yuck).


Banana Bread
Materials:
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup mashed bananas
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup oil
  • 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water)
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Methods:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease loaf pan.
  2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
  3. In another bowl, mix together the bananas, sugar, oil, and egg.
  4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until moist.
  5. Gently fold in the walnuts.
  6. Pour into load pan.
  7. Bake for about 50 minutes to 1 hour (depending on your oven), or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean. 



2 comments:

  1. Can the flax egg be replaced with a regular egg if flax seeds aren't available?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can! In fact, the originally recipe calls for 1 egg... but I don't bake with eggs, so I use the flax egg replacement.

    Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis