Monday, September 17, 2012

Boozy cupcakes


Happy Monday! As a tribute to the weekend that we are now mourning (when just mere hours ago you were sipping a craft beer chatting about who-even-cares with your besties, and now you find yourself back in your cubicle)... I bring you cupcakes! Boozey cupcakes! Who doesn't love boozey cupcakes? The alcohol cooks off, it doesn't taste that strongly of booze... but just knowing that it is in there makes the whole experience a little better. And hopefully it will transfer you back, even if just for a moment, to that creaky porch or crowded bar.


I know I spoke of these noble conquests of bringing you a plethora of cupcakes. And I know that I have not done that. Honestly though? These cupcakes have not stuck around long enough to photograph them. The cupcake of which of speak, that I am here to share with you, are chocolate stout cupcakes. In the spirit of being a manly cupcake, they aren't overly sweet and are not loaded with some fluffy or frilly frosting. Nope, none of that. The chocolate and stout really take the main stage here... and trust me, you wouldn't want it any other way. And that main stage is a cloud. A chocolatey cloud floating in a river of beer. Mmmmmm.


As an aside, you are getting this recipe now because I noticed on Saturday morning that there were still 3 cupcakes left from the batch I had made a couple of days before. I was waiting for my barley to cook and jumped at the opportunity. So there I sat, unshowered, squatting by my coffee table in front of the window with my camera in one hand and powdered sugar sifter in the other. Do you know how difficult it is to get a good shot while trying to shake the powdered sugar in one hand and snap the photo with the other? That is how eager I was to share these cupcakes with you! So go forth, my friends, and make these boozy cupcakes.


Chocolate Stout Cupcakes

Materials:
For the Crumb Topping
  • 1/4 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
For the Cupcakes
  • 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour (I used half AP and half whole wheat)
  • 1/3 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup stout
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

Methods:  
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and line muffin pan with paper liners.

To make the crumb topping...
  1. Combine the cocoa power, flour, and sugar.
  2. Slowly drizzle in the oil while tossing with a fork until crumbs form.
  3. Once all the oil has been added, toss and stir the crumbs with your fingers for about 30 seconds.

To make the cupcakes...
  1. Whisk together the milk and vinegar in a large bowl and set aside.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  3. Add the stout, sugar, oil, and vanilla to the milk and beat until foamy.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet in two batches and beat for about 2 minutes.
  5. Pour batter into liners until about 3/4 full.
  6. Gently sprinkle with crumb topping so that the crumbs rest on top.
  7. Bake for about 22 minutes.
  8. Once cooled, you can dust with powdered sugar.
  9. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis