Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Raw broccoli salad

My body needed to do some serious recovering from the weekend.  So Monday I vowed to eat only fruits, vegetables, and nuts.  Ok, after I ate my heavy first class breakfast, that is.  Lunch consisted of some almonds and dried apricots, and then dinner was this light but filling and delicious broccoli salad.  I don't have too much to say about it, for I would prefer you use your reading time reading about my trip to New Orleans :-).  But if that last post had you craving some pretty unhealthy stuff, I also wanted to post this so you had something to balance it out!

Considering I threw this together with what produce I had left in my refrigerator, I was pretty impressed with the outcome.  The marinating of the broccoli softens it a little bit, but you still have the crunch from the apple and then the moistness of the tomatoes.  The vinaigrette is tangy and delicious and brings it all together.

Raw Broccoli Salad
Materials:
  • 1 crown of broccoli
  • 1 chunk of a head of cauliflower
  • 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoons dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • salt pepper 
  • 1/2 apple
  • 1 handful of cherry tomatoes

Method:
  1. Using a mandoline, slice up the broccoli and cauliflower.
  2. Whisk together vinegar, lemon juice, and mustard.  While still whisking, slowly add in the olive oil.
  3. Salt and pepper to taste.
  4. Toss the broccoli and cauliflower in the vinaigrette and place in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
  5. In the meantime, julienne the apple and halve the cherry tomatoes.
  6. Mix together the crucifers with the apple and tomatoes.
  7. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis